Over the past few weeks we’ve heard a number of rumors about Microsoft’s next generation tablets. The company has finally revealed when it intends to unveil the new Surface tablets. The Surface 2 launch event takes place on September 23rd in New York City, Microsoft sent invites to the media today. It was rumored that perhaps Microsoft will also launch a Surface mini tablet this year, but according to various sources, that device is not going to be unveiled on September 23rd.
The design of Microsoft’s next generation tablets is expected to be similar to the existing Surface tablets. The Surface Pro 2 is expected to get Intel’s new Haswell processors and 8GB of RAM. A refined kickstand is rumored for both Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 tablets. A recent rumor suggests that a docking station might also be unveiled, the station would allow Surface Pro 2 to be connected to an external display. For the entry level tablet, Microsoft has apparently gone with NVIDIA’s Tegra 4 processor and a 1080p HD display. It is expected to drop the “RT” label, even though it will run on Windows 8.1 RT. Now that the launch event date has officially been announced, we can start counting down the days until Microsoft shows us how it has made the Surface tablets better.
- 2014-04-22: Microsoft Organizes Party To Celebrate E.T. Videogame Dig
- 2014-04-22: Second Windows 8.1 Major Update To Arrive In August (Rumor)
- 2014-04-21: Phil Spencer Admits More Needs To Be Done For The Xbox One
- 2014-04-21: Motorola Solutions Licenses Microsoft IP For Chrome And Android Devices
- 2014-04-21: Microsoft Expands Retail Presence In The U.S.
- 2014-04-06: Ears For Surface Will Help Boost The Tablet's Volume For $10
- 2014-04-03: Microsoft Surface Pro 2 Purchase Comes With Free Controller, 2 Games
- 2013-10-22: Surface 2, Surface Pro 2 Now Available In U.S., 20 Additional Countries
- 2013-09-08: Dock For Microsoft's Surface Tablets Is Apparently In The Pipeline
- 2013-09-04: Surface Pro 2 Rumored To Have More RAM, Haswell Processor And Refined Kickstand