Before Apple’s September 10th event, it was being rumored that perhaps the company might also launch a new Apple TV alongside the new iPhones. At its event, Apple didn’t even mention the set-top box. It was rumored earlier today that a major software update for this device will be rolled out on September 18th, the same day on which iOS 7 is publicly released. Latest reports suggest that the company is currently developing a new Apple TV and it might release it next month, possibly alongside the new iPads.
It was said a few weeks ago that Apple will make a TV related announcement this year. Some expect that it might finally unveil its much rumored HDTV set, while others believe that the set-top box will be refreshed with new hardware. Nothing is known for sure right now, not even about the new Apple TV that is supposedly going to launch in October. Some analysts are of the view that a full fledged Apple HDTV set might not come until next year. The Apple TV received a minor refresh in 2012, not much was changed back then. Lets see if Apple really does plan on improving its TV offering, we’re bound to hear more about this product over the coming weeks, if the launch is indeed slated to take place next month.
- 2014-04-10: 2014 Apple TV May Rely On Motion Control Technology
- 2014-04-08: New Apple Set-Top Box Hinted In Comcast/Time Warner Cable Filings
- 2014-04-07: Amazon Fire TV Handles Android Mirroring Nicely
- 2014-04-02: Analyst Thinks Amazon's Fire TV Will Motivate Apple To Revamp The Apple TV
- 2014-03-28: Roku CEO Calls The Apple TV A "Money Loser" For Apple