This weekend BlackBerry Messenger for Android and iOS will be launched in the Google Play Store and App Store, respectively. This is the first time that the once iconic phone manufacturer’s exclusive instant messaging service is being opened up for other platforms, the platforms that have eroded its market share in less than a decade. Since this is a significant move for the company, people have been wondering how BBM will perform on these platforms, given the abundance of IM services such as WhatsApp, Viber and Line, which are quite popular. BlackBerry says that more than 2.5 million people have already pre-registered to download the app on their respective platforms.
The company says that over 60 million people around the world currently use BBM, this number solely comprises of users who have BlackBerry smartphones. BBM is actually considered to be one of the remaining strengths of the company, which is trying to find a buyer for itself. There have been rumors that perhaps BBM might even be spun off into a separate company. For now, BBM on Android and iOS will come with the core feature set, which includes instant messaging and groups. The company says that over time, it will add new features such as video and voice chat and BBM Channels. We’ve got to ask, are you willing to try out BBM on your iPhone or Android?
Next Story: Nokia 'Sirius' Tablet Might Be Called Lumia 2520
- 2014-04-15: BlackBerry Will Shift Focus To High-End QWERTY Handsets
- 2014-04-14: BlackBerry Security Patches For iOS And Android BBM Apps To Prevent Heartbleed Exploits
- 2014-04-14: BlackBerry Pushing For Immediate Ban Of Typo Keyboard Sales
- 2014-04-13: BlackBerry Windermere Concept Case Renders Surface
- 2014-04-11: T-Mobile Offering BlackBerry Users $200 To "Upgrade" To Samsung
- 2013-10-29: BBM On Android And iPhone Adds 20 Million Users In First Week
- 2013-09-30: BlackBerry Reiterates Commitment To BBM For iOS And Android After Halting Rollout
- 2013-09-21: BBM For iOS Rolling Out Now
- 2013-09-20: BBM For Android Leaked Apk Surfaces Online
- 2013-09-17: Samsung Will Reportedly Release BBM For Android In Africa On Friday