At its Unpacked event yesterday, Samsung finally announced the much rumored Galaxy Gear smartwatch. At this point in time it can only work with the Galaxy Note 3, which was announced yesterday as well. However, the firmware update for Galaxy S4 that releases in October will make the smartwatch compatible with it too. Samsung has promised over 70 apps for Galaxy Gear initially, more will come in the future. It hasn’t revealed the names of all of the apps as yet though.
Pocket, Path and eBay are some of the apps that have been confirmed for the smartwatch at launch. RunKepper, MyFitnessPal and Tripit apps have also been confirmed. There’s also an app that allows users to take a picture of a wine bottle with their smartwatch and see relevant information about it, the app is called Vivino Wine Scanner. Might come in handy if you’re ever in the mood to boast about your extensive knowledge of wines. Evernote will make its way to Galaxy Gear as well, though it hasn’t been revealed as yet what the app will be capable of doing. While the smartwatch is capable of displaying notifications from the full Android apps of Facebook and Twitter, it isn’t known right now if the two social networks will be making native apps for Samsung’s new smartwatch.
Next Story: Ping App Intends To Make Email Fun Again
- 2014-04-16: Samsung Exec Felt Jobs' Death Was 'Best Opportunity' To Attack iPhone
- 2014-04-16: AT&T Galaxy S4 Active Android 4.4 Update Released
- 2014-04-16: Samsung Android Wear Smartwatch Expected Later This Year
- 2014-04-16: Samsung Shows Off Curved Batteries Used In The Gear Fit
- 2014-04-16: High-End Samsung Tizen Device To Arrive By End Of Q2 2014
- 2014-04-07: Gear Solo Is Samsung's 3G Capable Smartwatch [Rumor]
- 2014-02-22: Samsung Galaxy Gear 2 and Galaxy Gear Neo Smart Watches Launched at MWC
- 2014-02-16: AT&T Galaxy Gear Price Gets A $100 Cut
- 2014-02-10: Galaxy Gear 2 Rumored To Be Priced Lower Than iWatch
- 2013-09-03: Galaxy Gear Smartwatch Might Be Too Expensive [Analyst]