Last week Apple finally announced its much rumored new smartphones, the iPhone 5S and the iPhone 5C. Rumors about short supply have already been circulating online, particularly about the iPhone 5S, which has not been offered for pre-orders like its “unapologetically plastic” sibling, the iPhone 5C. Apple’s Taiwan supply chain is now buzzing with rumors that perhaps production of both new iPhones has been affected by poor yield rates of camera lens modules. It is being said that only Largan Precision has been able to produce above-average yield rates, whereas other suppliers are still working to improve their outputs.
The rumors have surfaced online through a Digitimes report, this trade publication has a mixed track record when it comes to rumors related to Apple. It is also claimed that Genius Electronic Optical, which is based in Taiwan, has also received orders from Apple to build iPhone 5C camera. There has been no official confirmation of these rumors, though this time around Apple has decided not to share first day pre-order figures with the public. Some believe that perhaps this is due to weak demand. However, an analyst predicted earlier today that the company might have seen as many as 2.2 million pre-orders for iPhone 5C on the first day. The report doesn’t say exactly how much the impact of these rumored production issues will be on future shipments of the new iPhones.
- 2014-04-24 Samsung Galaxy S5 Outsold The iPhone 5s In Its Opening Weekend
- 2014-04-22 iOS 7.1.1 Update Brings Touch ID Improvements
- 2014-04-17 Trade-In Site Sees One Third Of Galaxy S5 Buyers Switching From iPhone
- 2014-04-15 Galaxy S5 Versus HTC One M8, iPhone 5s, Nexus 5 In Torture Test
- 2014-04-03 Galaxy S5 Versus iPhone 5s In Biometrics Test
- 2014-03-13 iPhone 5c's Disappointing Performance Seen In China As Well
- 2014-03-09 iPhone 5s Continues To Grow As iPhone 5c Lags Behind
- 2014-03-03 iPhone 5s Retains Consumer Interest As iPhone 5c Struggles
- 2014-01-29 iOS 7.0.5 For iPhone 5s And iPhone 5c Released
- 2014-01-27 Unlocked iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c Sale From Virgin Mobile