If you’ve been following tech news since last week, you’ll be aware of the fact that Samsung was going to unveil its new smartwatch today. It did unveil the new product, Samsung Galaxy Gear has officially been announced. Though its not the only new smartwatch we get to see today. Qualcomm, known widely for its processors, has unveiled Toq, its very own smartwatch that comes with a color screen.
Qualcomm Toq smartwatch syncs with users’ smartphones via Bluetooth and will allow them to view texts, phone logs and other notifications. At this point in time, Toq only works with devices that run on Android 4.0.3 or higher. Qualcomm is considering adding iOS support as well. The smartwatch is powered by Qualcomm’s own operating system and uses its Mirasol display technology, meaning that it can viewed without any problems under direct sunlight. Its display is always-on, much like a traditional watch that you don’t have to wake up to check the time. Toq’s power profile is so low that it doesn’t even have an on/off button. The battery has been placed inside the wristband to make Toq thinner, users will be able to cut the wristband in order to adjust it to their wrists. Toq charges wirelessly through the dock that’s included in the purchase, with normal usage the battery is expected to last around five days. Wireless Bluetooth headphones will accompany the watch as well, it will be available in black and white colors.
Qualcomm is accepting pre-orders from today, the Toq will cost around $300. Delivery is expected by October 10th. The company says that it will only sell Toq in limited numbers because its “not trying to be a consumer electronics company.” The idea is to just show to the world what its technology is capable of. [Image via CNET]
Next Story: Bing Video Search Updated
- 2014-04-14: In-House iPhone Baseband Chip Development 'Herculean' Task [Analyst]
- 2014-04-07: Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 And 808 Announced
- 2014-03-24: OnePlus One Will Tout Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 Processor
- 2014-03-10: Pantech Vega Iron 2 Could Be First To Rock Snapdragon 805 Processor
- 2014-02-25: Samsung and Qualcomm Build World’s Fastest Galaxy Note 3
- 2014-01-30: Limited Edition Toq Smartwatch Launches In White
- 2014-01-06: Qualcomm Toq Smartwatch Price Receives $50 Cut
- 2013-12-02: Qualcomm Toq Smartwatch Now Available For Purchase
- 2013-11-25: Qualcomm Toq Smartwatch Now Up For Pre-Order
- 2013-11-18: Qualcomm's Toq Smartwatch To See A 2nd Of December Release