Microsoft is going to unveil its new Surface tablets at an event on September 23rd, that much we know, all the rest has been rumored. The new tablets aren’t expected to come with major design changes, however a refined kickstand is said to be on the cards. Internal hardware components will obviously be changed. There has been much speculation about the pricing, particularly of the Surface 2, the next generation model of the Surface RT tablet. Its still going to run Windows 8 RT, but its expected to drop the RT label. A new report has come out today which claims that despite disappointing sales of the Surface RT, which some attribute to its high price, Microsoft may retain the $500 price tag for Surface 2.
Moreover, it is also claimed that Microsoft will sell the Touch Cover and Type Cover keyboards separately, they won’t be included in the $500 price of Surface 2. In recent months the company has slashed the prices of its Surface RT tablets in a bid to move inventory. It also took a $900 million hit due to unsold tablets. This rumor is said to come from only one source, so a grain of salt is advised nonetheless. Fortunately, we don’t have to wait for long, Microsoft’s event is less than three days away.
- 2014-03-23: Microsoft Convinces 12 Year Old Girl To Get The Surface 2 Over The iPad Mini
- 2014-03-17: Microsoft Surface 2 With LTE Tablet Arriving March 18
- 2014-02-19: Surface 2 With LTE Spotted At The FCC
- 2014-01-20: Surface 2 Tablets Back In Stock On Microsoft Store Website
- 2013-11-27: Microsoft Targets The Galaxy Tab In Ad This Time Around
- 2013-09-20: Surface 2 Said To Have Same $500 Price As Surface RT
- 2013-08-27: Microsoft Surface 2 May Ditch The 'RT' Label
- 2013-08-26: Microsoft May Have Forced Ballmer's Retirement Due To Surface RT Debacle
- 2013-08-23: Giant “Piano” Made Up Of Surface RT Tablets
- 2013-08-13: Surface RT And Surface Pro Get Firmware Updates