Earlier today Microsoft unveiled two new Surface tablets, the Surface 2 which will be powered by NVIDIA’s Tegra 4 chipset, and the Surface Pro 2 which would be powered by an Intel processor. Prior to the unveiling, there were rumors about some of the specifications and features of the new tablets, one of them being LTE connectivity which is handy in places where there might not be WiFi, but unfortunately Microsoft did not mention anything during the event. However during a Reddit AMA, Microsoft’s Panos Panay answered a question regarding LTE connectivity and confirmed that LTE connectivity would be arriving in the form of an SKU early next year.
“Great question. We didn’t talk about it today, but Surface 2 will be launching an awesome LTE SKU early next year! Nice catch on your part, no one else has asked this question…… what better way to tell people than through Reddit!! Panos” However he did not mention as to whether LTE connectivity would be available on both the Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2, or if it would be limited to just the Surface Pro 2, the higher-end model of the two, but either way we guess something is better than nothing, right?
- 2014-03-23: Microsoft Convinces 12 Year Old Girl To Get The Surface 2 Over The iPad Mini
- 2014-03-17: Microsoft Surface 2 With LTE Tablet Arriving March 18
- 2014-02-19: Surface 2 With LTE Spotted At The FCC
- 2014-01-20: Surface 2 Tablets Back In Stock On Microsoft Store Website
- 2013-11-27: Microsoft Targets The Galaxy Tab In Ad This Time Around
- 2013-11-12: Microsoft Surface 2 Receives Updates To Improve Battery Life And More
- 2013-10-22: Surface 2, Surface Pro 2 Now Available In U.S., 20 Additional Countries
- 2013-10-20: Surface 2 Went On Sale Early In The UK
- 2013-10-09: Microsoft Will Hold Midnight Launch Event For New Surface Tablets In 10 Stores