Xiaomi and NVIDIA have announced that the flagship phone from Xaiomi, the Mi3 is now officially the first Tegra 4 phone which will be able to access games from TegraZone. The Mi3 comes with a 5” 1080p display (441ppi) and up to 64GB of internal storage. The clock frequency details of this Tegra 4 phone were not immediately disclosed (do we really care that much?), but we know that this can slightly vary from vendor to vendor, depending on the thermal design of each phone. Overall, we would expect it to get performance close to the NVIDIA Shield, but keep in mind that NVIDIA’s portable console has a beefy cooling system.
The Xiaomi Mi3 has a clean and classy design. From the product photos, it looks like it is using the company’s custom user interface skin, which is fairly different from what U.S customers know about Android. Xiaomi is an extremely popular smartphone company in china and has been known to seel hundreds of thousands of smartphones within “minutes”, thanks to special sales events. This is something that is completely unknown to the western market.
And here’s what’s interesting about Xiaomi: the Mi3 will cost about $327, without a contract, which is about half of what smartphones like the iPhone 5, Galaxy S4 or LG Optimus G Pro would cost without a multi-year commitment. That is exactly why Xiaomi has been so successful in the past, and we’ll keep an eye on what they do worldwide.
The official story says that NVIDIA and Xiaomi have been working on this for about one year, and NVIDIA’s CEO has been invited to unveil the Mi3. What does it mean for the Mi3? Well, top-notch gaming and always-on HDR photography are at the top of the list.
- 2014-04-03: MIUI Express Brings A Taste Of Xiaomi To Your Android Phone
- 2014-04-02: Xiaomi Shows Off Pressy Lookalike For A Fraction Of The Price
- 2014-03-31: Xiaomi Has Sold 11 Million Smartphones So Far This Year
- 2014-03-30: Xiaomi Redmi Note Sells 100,000 Units In 34 Minutes
- 2014-03-23: Meizu Might Take On Xiaomi Redmi Note With Blue Charm Note
- 2013-09-09: NVIDIA Tegra Note Spotted At The FCC With 7-inch Display, Digital Pen
- 2013-07-29: XiaoMi Mi3 Launch Delayed To September (Rumor)
- 2013-06-04: NVIDIA Shows Off 'DirectStylus' For Tegra 4 Tablets
- 2013-04-19: Leaked ZTE N988 Could Be World's First Tegra 4 Smartphone
- 2013-02-24: Tegra 4 Benchmarks: NVIDIA Jumps Into Hyperspace