We have been hearing some rumors that Sony could be planning to launch a full-frame NEX camera in the future, and not just one model, but several models. One of them is expected to be the more affordable option, while one will be a mid-ranged model, while the other will be a high-end model. According to the folks at Sony Alpha Rumors, they claim to have been tipped off to some of the specifications of the upcoming devices. Based on their information, it is expected that the cheaper full-frame NEX camera will sport a 24MP sensor, while the high-end model will go with the 36MP sensor. Like we’ve mentioned many times in the past, megapixels don’t determine a camera’s quality, but unfortunately it has been used as a marketing tool where bigger means better.
In any case this kind of corroborates an earlier rumor where it was suggested that Sony could be thinking of choosing between a 24MP, 32MP, or a 36MP sensor for their full-frame camera, but it looks like with the different models rumored, Sony could just end up using all three instead! Take it with a grain of salt for now, but with the rumors pointing at a 16th of October announcement, we guess we won’t have to wait too long to see if the rumors pan out.
- 2014-04-17: Next PlayStation Might Be Service Oriented
- 2014-04-17: Xperia Z, ZL, ZR And Tablet Z Receive Android 4.4 Next Month
- 2014-04-17: PS4 Update 1.70 To Feature SHAREfactory
- 2014-04-16: Sony Has Difficulty Meeting Demand For The PS4
- 2014-04-16: Sony's PS4 Sales Crosses The 7 Million Mark
- 2014-04-10: Sony A7s Priced In The UK At £2,500 Body-Only
- 2014-03-28: Sony A77II Could Be Announced At The World Photography Awards Exhibition [Rumor]
- 2014-03-27: Sony A6000 For US Could Begin Shipping Next Week [Rumor]
- 2014-03-26: Alleged Leaked Sony Camera Slide Reveals Sony's High-End Plans
- 2014-03-25: Sony A6000 Pre-Orders Reportedly Begins Shipping In Asia And Europe