At the beginning of this month – a fortnight ago, to be exact, we brought you word that Halo 3 would be free for Xbox 360 Gold members on October 16th. Well, we have already seen the calendar turn 16 for the month of October, so just how true was that particular bit of reporting? 100% true, apparently, as existing subscribers to Microsoft’s Xbox Live Gold service are now able to download as well as play the full version of Halo 3. Just in case you were wondering, Halo 3 is not all that new, it was the 2007 Xbox 360 entry, so I guess you can more or less consider this to be a bit of retro gaming on the side. So, if you happen to be an Xbox Live Gold member, you will be able to download Halo 3 between now and October 31st.
On normal days, Halo 3 would require you to spend $14.99 in order to download it from the Games on Demand service, but all of that has been negated at the moment if you happen to be in the right membership tier. This is due to it being part of Microsoft’s recent “Games for Gold” program which will offer at the bare minimum a couple of free games each month from the Xbox 360 catalog to Xbox Live Gold subscribers. Of course, this means if you want any of the post-release DLC content, you will have to fork out money for those.
- 2014-03-26: Xbox One Reputation Notifications Coming Soon
- 2014-03-12: Watch Dogs Closed Beta On Xbox LIVE Spotted (Rumor)
- 2014-03-03: Xbox Live Could Extend To iOS And Android
- 2014-03-02: 24 month Xbox Live Gold Subscriptions Introduced
- 2014-02-28: Halo 5 Multiplayer Beta Could Be Released This Year
- 2014-02-28: Halo News Will Be Shared At E3, According To Phil Spencer
- 2014-02-09: The Walking Dead Mid-Season Premiere Accidently Posted On Xbox Live
- 2014-01-19: Microsoft Denies Rumors Of A Halo Movie
- 2013-12-10: Halo: Spartan Assault Headed To Xbox One Dec. 24 For $14.99
- 2013-10-29: Halo: Spartan Assault Headed To Xbox One, Xbox 360 This December