[CEATEC 2013] All right, I do know that the Kyocera Torque was released earlier this year, and for folks in the US, this is one handset from Sprint that has gained a reputation to be a tough device, so much so that even TV personality Bear Grylls has endorsed it in an ad campaign. Just to refresh our memories, the Kyocera Torque is a 4G LTE Android powered smartphone that used to cost you $99.99 a pop from Sprint, where that is how much you will pay after sending in a $50 mail-in rebate alongside agreeing to a new 2-year contract, of course. Now, it is available for free – albeit with a similar length contract, of course.
Back then, Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich was revealed to be the operating system of choice, but it has since been upgraded to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. The Kyocera Torque is one tough cookie, where it was specially built according to Military Standard 810G (MilSpec), which means that this is one smartphone that can withstand the elements, including dust, shock, vibration, solar radiation, humidity, blowing rain, low pressure, salt fog and extreme temperatures, in addition to carrying IP67 standards for dust, sprayed water and boasts of the ability to remain fully immersed in up to one meter deep for up to 30 minutes. Looks like it has gained enough “torque” to make it all the way to being the finalist in the Mobile Tech category under CEATEC 2013 Innovation Awards.
Next Story: MURATA/Elliptic Labs Ultrasound Gesture Control
- 2014-04-14: Kyocera Installs Solar Cycle Station For Electric Vehicles In Japan
- 2014-04-08: Kyocera Verve Announced, Headed For Sprint And Boost Mobile
- 2014-04-06: Kyocera Brigadier Tipped For Verizon
- 2013-10-07: KDDI Winter Smartphone Range Sees LG isai, Fujitsu Arrows Z, Kyocera Digno M, And Sharp Aquos Series Debut
- 2013-10-03: TDK Heat-Assisted Magnetic Recording Boosts HDD Capacity (HAMR)
- 2013-10-03: Mitsubishi Car Display System Sports Free Form Screen
- 2013-10-03: NTT docomo Showcases Dragon Quest Metal Slime Smartphone
- 2013-10-03: Mazda Shakin’ Racer App Gives Your Arm A Workout
- 2013-10-02: CEATEC 2013 Innovation Awards Winners' List
- 2013-10-02: Kyocera Torque