We reported yesterday Microsoft pulled the Windows RT 8.1 update for all devices running on Windows RT 8 due to reports of the update bricking Surface RT tablets. As a result of this issue, Microsoft had to investigate what exactly the problem was, and it looks like they have found a solution to the issue as Windows RT 8.1 is available again on the Windows Store.
According to Microsoft, one out of every 1,000 Surface RT tablets that attempted to installed Windows RT 8.1 experienced problems that left the update incomplete, even leaving some devices “unbeatable,” which is a nicer way of saying they were bricked. Microsoft update their statement regarding the Windows RT 8.1 situation:
“This was due to a rare situation where firmware updates had not completed at the time of the update to RT 8.1. In most cases, if a customer encountered this issue the result was simply an extra reboot. However, for a very small percentage, the boot configuration data was affected which prevented a successful boot. We worked to quickly resolve the issue and now encourage customers to update their Surface RT devices. Surface Pro and 8.1 customers were not impacted by this issue.”
Are you a Surface RT owner who will attempt to update your device to Windows RT 8.1 now that Microsoft has given the all clear? We’re certainly interested to hear your experience through this entire ordeal, so feel free to share your thoughts in the comments section below.
- 2014-04-21: Phil Spencer Admits More Needs To Be Done For The Xbox One
- 2014-04-21: Motorola Solutions Licenses Microsoft IP For Chrome And Android Devices
- 2014-04-21: Microsoft Expands Retail Presence In The U.S.
- 2014-04-21: Downgrade Windows Phone 8.1 To 8.0 Possible
- 2014-04-21: Office 365 China Launch Finally Takes Place
- 2014-04-11: Microsoft Research Shows Off Interactive Live Tiles
- 2013-09-05: Windows RT No Longer Needed, According To Lenovo Exec
- 2013-08-26: Additional Nokia Sirius Windows RT Tablet Details Leaked
- 2013-08-09: ASUS No Longer Creating Windows RT Devices
- 2013-02-12: Microsoft delivers patches for Windows 8 and Windows RT