Earlier this year it was revealed that Skype would be making its way onto BlackBerry 10 devices, which is good news especially since the BlackBerry 10 platform could use more big name apps. However the downside is that the app, at that time, turned out to be a port of the Android version of Skype. While there is nothing wrong with ports, the fact of the matter is that they are not optimized for the BlackBerry 10 platform, meaning that it is not as integrated and smooth as it could be compared to a native app, but we guess given that BlackBerry 10 users have no other choice, it will have to do.
The good news is that if you’re a heavy Skype user on the BlackBerry 10, you might be pleased to learn that a native BlackBerry 10 Skype app could be on its way. This is according to a tweet by Brian Zubert, the Manager of Developer Relations at BlackBerry, who in his tweet wrote, “Nice update today to the @Skype #BlackBerry app. Huge improvement, but still looking forward to the full on native app! Might be 10.2 only!” Given his status and role at BlackBerry, presumably what he said was not made in mistake, although the downside is the the app might only be for OS 10.2, so if your carrier has yet to roll out the 10.2 update for your BlackBerry 10 device, you could be out of luck.
- 2014-04-14: Voxeet 2.0 with Dial-in Support and Voxeet for Mac - Review
- 2014-04-10: Skype For Xbox One Getting Update Next Week
- 2014-04-08: Skype For Modern Windows 2.7 Introduces New Features
- 2014-04-02: Skype For Windows Phone 8.1, Windows 8.1 Announced
- 2014-04-01: Skype Could Feature New Chat UI For Windows Desktop
- 2014-03-20: Qik To Officially Shut Its Doors On The 30th Of April
- 2013-11-03: BlackGram Is BlackBerry 10's Native Instagram App
- 2013-08-25: Instagram Spotted On BlackBerry 10 Hub [Rumor]
- 2013-07-03: Native Evernote App For Blackberry 10 Leaked
- 2013-07-01: Skype 4.0 For Android Receives A Complete Redesign [Video]