Apple’s iPad mini with Retina display was announced recently but interestingly enough unlike the iPad Air which was put up for pre-order with a release pegged for the 1st if November, the new iPad mini was not given the same treatment, although it was scheduled for a release later in November. A recent statement made by Tim Cook has also suggested that there might not be enough units to meet the demand, indicating that would-be iPad mini customers would be in for a wait. Now thanks to a report from DigiTimes, it has been suggested that one of the reasons behind the possible delay is due to Sharp’s low yield of the displays for the iPad mini.
Their report claims that currently only two companies are responsible for the iPad mini’s Retina display and they are LG and Sharp, with LG responsible for the bulk of the displays at 60%, while Sharp will account for the remaining 40%. It seems that other manufacturers, such as AU Optronics and Innolux, both of whom have been linked to Apple in the past, have tried to get orders for the new iPad mini but were unsuccessful. These manufacturing problems does not come as a complete surprise as it has been suggested back in April this year that manufacturing problems for the Retina display would cause delays/shortages. We’re not sure just how big of an impact this will have so we guess we will just have to wait and see for ourselves, but hopefully it won’t be too long.
- iPad Pro Rumored For 2015 Release, iPad Mini Might Be Discontinued
- 12.9-inch iPad Pro Rumored For Q3 2014 Launch
- Rumored iPad Pro Could Be A Hybrid Device Aimed At Enterprise Users
- Rumored 12.9" iPad Pro Could Feature 2K Display With Eye-Tracking Technology
- Apple iPad Mini 3 Prototype With Touch ID Spotted [Rumor]