Finally, Windows Phone 8 gets true leading hardware: with the Nokia 1520, the Microsoft platform obtains its first high-end large-display smartphone equipped with a 1080p display and the latest Snapdragon 800 processor from Qualcomm. This couldn’t have come fast enough and Nokia is making history here.
This time, Nokia didn’t hold back on the specification, and we are finally going to see a Windows Phone that can go head to head with Android handsets without feeling “last-gen”. This is going to help Microsoft and Nokia quite a bit. No matter what one can say, specs do matter, especially in a competitive market like we have today.
At first glance, the Nokia 1520 looks more or less like a big Lumia 920, and that’s fine because that’s a very nice design. Now, the real question is: how does it fit in the hands in pants pockets. The 1520 should be smaller than the Galaxy Mega 6.3 which I consider as being the ultimate limit for my pants pockets (Levi’s 501 33×32), so it should be technically pocketable.
Nokia says that it is using Super sensitive touch on its panel, so it should work even if the user is wearing gloves (like on the 920), but the more intriguing part of the display specs, is the mysterious “sunlight readability”, and we wonder what Nokia means by that. We’ll just have to test it on a sunny day.
Not surprisingly, the Nokia 1020 is an LTE phone, but at the moment we don’t yet have the detail about which countries will be supported. Looking at Qualcomm’s other customers, it’s fair to say that most large LTE markets should be served fairly quickly, but let’s wait for the official confirmation.
As part of the high-end specifications, Nokia is also using a 3400mAh battery, which is one of the largest, if not THE largest battery integrated into a smartphone.
Next Story: Nokia Lumia 2520 Tablet Becomes Real
- 2014-04-22 HTC Might Be Interested In Nokia's Chennai Factory
- 2014-04-21 Microsoft Nokia Deal Closes April 25th
- 2014-04-20 Nokia's Phone Division Will Be Named Microsoft Mobile
- 2014-04-17 #Chokia Is Just Desserts For Nokia’s 3D Printing Research
- 2014-04-17 Nokia Lumia 2520 Sales Suspended Due To Electric Shock Concerns
- 2014-04-07 Delta Airlines To Bring 20,000 Lumia 1520 Handsets To Their Flight Attendants
- 2014-03-31 Nokia Lumia 1520 Beats Out The Competition In Blind Camera Comparison
- 2014-03-18 Nokia Lumia 1520 Set To Receive Software Update
- 2014-03-09 Delta Air Lines Upgrading Nokias To Lumia 1520
- 2014-03-05 Lumia 1520 Beats Out Galaxy S5 For Gaming, According To Benchmarks