If you have heard some rumors about a Nokia Tablet, they were true. Nokia just launched the 2520, a 10.1” Windows RT tablet that comes with a 1080p IPS display low reflectance (+Gorilla Glass 2). Unlike many other Windows tablets that have been launched recently, the Nokia 2520 will feature 4G LTE from the get go (along with WiFi of course). Interestingly, this could also be a tablet that comes with a good camera. In the back, there is a 6.7 Megapixel camera equipped with a Carl Zeiss lens that Nokia likes so much. It can capture 1080p video at 60FPS and we’re looking forward to seeing it in action. The front camera is a more regular 2 Megapixel.
Inside, it is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor (2.2 GHz) and it is paired with a 8000mAh battery that should keep it going for a while. Since battery life is very much depending on the display brightness and LTE activity, we will have to run independent tests, but we wouldn’t be surprised if this one could stay up for more than 10 hours.
The design reminds me of the Surface, which is not a bad comparison at all. However, it does not have the kickstand of anything that makes it a clone of Microsoft’s tablet. We already know that Snapdragon 800 and Tegra 4 are comparable from a performance standpoint, but the Qualcomm solution provides an easy way to get the LTE functionality.
As usual, Nokia is going to have a number of colors choices, and the Lumia 2520 will be available in Red, Glossy White, Cyan and Black (matte). The choice of using Windows RT should yield a longer battery life compared to an Intel Atom, but it won’t be able to run legacy Windows apps. Also, Nokia has much more experience with ARM-based platforms, so this is the logical choice for them. What do you think?
- Windows RT 8.1
- 10.1” 1080p HD IPS, Gorilla Glass 2
- 6.7MP ZEISS lens (back), 2MP (front)
- 4G LTE
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 (2.2GHz Quad Core)
- 8000 mAh battery
- 2014-04-11: Nokia To Provide Chennai Factory Workers With Redundancy Packages
- 2014-04-10: Only PureView And High-End Nokia Handsets To Get Dedicated Camera Button [Rumor]
- 2014-04-09: Facebook Messenger For Asha, Lumia, Nokia X Announced
- 2014-04-09: Nokia X Custom Android ROM Revealed
- 2014-04-09: Nokia 225 Is Slimmest Affordable Internet Handset