So the other day we reported that Blizzard had won a legal case against bot maker, Ceiling Fan Software where the courts ordered the company to cease all activity and to pay Blizzard $7 million in damages. $7 million is a lot of money and is definitely not something to sneeze at, but it seems that Ceiling Fan Software might not have that much money lying around and has instead turn to asking their users and fans for donations to help pay their legal fees. In a statement released on its website, “If you would like to make donations to help offset some of our outstanding legal fees, you may do so here,” along with directing users to a PayPal link.
That particular portion in the statement has since been removed, presumably due to the backlash that they received. There were some who felt that it was absurd that they were asking for donations after engaging in an illegal activity that was clearly banned by Blizzard’s TOS. The rest of their statement reads, “After more than 2 years of legal battles with Blizzard Entertainment to both pursue our right to operate and our customer’s right to play WoW as they choose, we did not prevail in the suit and have been ordered by the United States District Court in California to cease our operations.“ What do you guys think? Was it right for them to ask for donations to help offset the cost of their legal fees? Or do you believe in the saying, if you can’t do the time, don’t do the crime.
- 2014-04-23 Department Of Justice Argues For Warrantless Phone Searches
- 2014-04-18 Azeroth Choppers Episode 1 Is Now Live
- 2014-04-17 Major Record Labels Hit Pandora With Copyright Infringement Lawsuit
- 2014-04-17 Liking A Company's Facebook Page Could Potentially Void Your Right To Sue Them
- 2014-04-17 Nintendo Sued For Alleged Patent Infringement Over Wii U's Dual Screen Capabilities
- 2014-04-16 Warlords Of Draenor Might Not Require You To Upgrade Your Computer
- 2014-04-14 BlackBerry Pushing For Immediate Ban Of Typo Keyboard Sales
- 2014-04-11 World Of Warcraft's Choppers Are About To Be Made A Reality
- 2014-04-08 Warlords Of Draenor New Tauren Animations Shown Off
- 2013-10-17 Blizzard Wins Legal Battle Against World Of Warcraft Bot Maker