With BlackBerry’s BBM messenger platform having a pretty solid reputation as an instant messenger, even before the likes of LINE and WhatsApp and Viber came along, is it really a surprise that the app saw a whopping 20 million users join its service in its first week of availability? To a certain extent this isn’t really surprising, but is BBM for iOS and Android popular only because of the novelty of using the app outside of the BlackBerry platform? Or is it truly a great app? Admittedly it could be a bit of both, but as it stands the numbers are suggesting that BBM for iOS and Android is starting to gain momentum and thanks to Mobidia releasing the numbers to the folks at BGR, we now know just how popular the app truly is.
According to the numbers, it is found that engagement of the BBM platform in the US sits at 40 minutes. This is compared to the likes of Tango which is only at 24 minutes, and came pretty close to matching Viber which sits at 44 minutes, which is impressive given that Viber has been available on iOS and Android for a while now. Over in Europe, BBM managed to beat out popular messenger, LINE, by clocking in 59 minutes of engagement versus LINE’s 38 minutes, although they are still pretty far from WhatsApp’s 160 minutes. However given that the app was only launched recently, these are pretty impressive stats and we can’t wait to see if BlackBerry will be able to maintain those numbers in the future.
- 2014-04-04: BBM Stickers Selling Pretty Well On iOS Devices
- 2014-04-01: New BBM Update With Stickers And More Released
- 2014-03-30: BBM For Windows Phone Coming In Q2
- 2014-03-28: BlackBerry Boasts 85 Million Monthly Active BBM Users
- 2014-03-28: BlackBerry Could Consider Bringing BBM To Desktops
- 2014-03-09: Customizable BBM PINs Could Be A Paid Feature
- 2014-03-06: BBM PINs Could Be Customizable In The Future
- 2014-03-05: BBM Channel Subscriptions Doubled After Cross-Platform Release
- 2014-03-05: BlackBerry Explains Ads For BBM
- 2014-03-03: Cross-Platform BBM Could Be Getting Ads Soon, According To Android Beta