We reported on Blockbuster’s unfortunate end just the other day as its parent company, Dish, announced its final 300 stores will close allowing the brand to bow out gracefully from the U.S. retail market. If you still rely on Blockbuster to get your movie fix in, you might want to head on over to your local store and get your final rental in as the retailer’s official Twitter account says the last day you’ll be able to rent a movie from a Blockbuster store is November 9, this Saturday.
Dish has said they plan on holding licensing rights for the Blockbuster brand as well as retain the company’s “significant” video library. Blockbuster’s disc-by-mail service, on the other hand, will shut down some time in December.
We’re not sure exactly what will happen to those rentals as we’re sure nobody will go looking for customers if they’re late on their returns, or if they decide to not return their rental altogether. With that said, we wouldn’t blame you if you went on a rental frenzy tomorrow as we’re sure there’s nobody going to be knocking on your door looking for a VHS copy of Gremlins 2. If someone does come looking for it, we didn’t tell you any of this, you hear?!
- 2014-03-03 Disney And Dish Arrive At A TV Distribution Deal
- 2013-12-19 Dish Rumored To Be Interested In Bidding For T-Mobile As Well
- 2013-12-12 Remaining UK Blockbuster Stores To Shut Down
- 2013-11-06 Blockbuster Shutting Its Last 300 Stores As It Exits U.S. Retail Market
- 2013-03-24 Blockbuster UK Finds Buyer, Half Of Stores To Close
- 2013-01-22 Blockbuster Continues To Struggle As It Closes 300 U.S. Stores
- 2011-09-23 Dish Network Blockbuster Movie Pass announced