The last Gears of War title that was released was back in 2013 with the Gears of War: Judgment game, and if you were looking forward to the next title, you might want to sit back and get comfortable because it does not appear as though a new title is in development right now. That’s not to say that the franchise will be discontinued, but according to Microsoft’s Phil Spencer, it seems that at the moment they are currently having discussions about the future of the franchise, which sounds as though there might not be anything in development for now.
Speaking to the folks at Kotaku, Spencer was quoted as saying, “I’m a huge fan of the franchise […] I want to continue to work with Gears. I think there’s a lot of life left in that franchise. We had an internal discussion on it even yesterday. It’s something that’s active in discussion about what we can do with Gears.” He went on to confirm that there was nothing in the cards at the moment, stating that “there’s nothing even pending that I’m holding to announce.” As it stands the Gears of War franchise has been more or less exclusive to Microsoft’s Xbox and Windows platform, but the semi-good news is that future titles might not necessarily hold onto that exclusivity, with Spencer deferring to Epic games to make that call.
- 2014-04-17: 5 Million Xbox One Consoles Shipped To Date
- 2014-04-17: Cortana Is Off-Limits To Users Aged Below 13 Years Old
- 2014-04-17: Xbox Music Update For Windows Phone 8.1 Coming Next Week
- 2014-04-16: Bing.com Gets Personalized Cards
- 2014-04-16: Users Report Cortana Having Problems Setting Alarms
- 2013-11-27: Gears Of War, Shoot Many Robots Free In December For Xbox Games With Gold
- 2013-03-19: Gears of War: Judgment Now Available Exclusively On Xbox 360
- 2013-03-07: Gears Of War: Judgment Cinematic Trailer Highlights Emergence Day
- 2013-03-04: Gears Of War: Judgment 'Cheevos' Commercial Focuses On Multiplayer Hijinks
- 2013-02-20: New Gears of War: Judgment Video Highlights Multiplayer Modes, Weapons