Later today, Nokia’s shareholders are expected to convene and vote on the approval of the sale of Nokia’s handset division to Microsoft, although it should be noted that this does not cover the approval of the Patent License Agreement or the HERE licensing arrangement as well. It is expected that there will not be much opposition to the acquisition by Microsoft as Nokia shareholders have seen the company’s share prices doubled since the deal was announced back in early September. Assuming all goes well with shareholders and regulatory boards approving the acquisition, the deal is expected to conclude in the first quarter of 2014.
Both Microsoft and Nokia have had a pretty special partnership with each other over the past few years, with Nokia pretty much putting all their eggs into Microsoft’s Windows Phone basket, a move which surprised many given that the Windows Phone platform was struggling at that time. While Windows Phone is still a pretty small player in the smartphone market, it has managed to grow, partly thanks to the efforts of Microsoft and Nokia, with the Finnish company rolling out some pretty impressive Windows Phone devices which have surprisingly caught on in emerging markets. What do you guys think? Are you for this acquisition, or do you think that Nokia should not have sold themselves to Microsoft?
Next Story: Facebook Quietly Testing Out New Chat Feature
- 2014-04-15: Microsoft To Open 11 More Specialty Retail Stores In The US
- 2014-04-15: Clippy Lives On As Cortana Easter Egg In Windows Phone 8.1
- 2014-04-15: Office 365 Personal Makes It Cheaper To Unlock All Features On iPad
- 2014-04-15: WP 8.1 GDR2 Update Could Support 2K Displays And Snapdragon 805 [Rumor]
- 2014-04-14: Microsoft Is "Done" With The Scroogled Campaign
- 2014-04-08: China's Ministry Of Commerce Gives Microsoft-Nokia Deal The Greenlight
- 2014-04-07: Microsoft Reveals Why Their Low-End Devices Do So Well
- 2014-04-04: Microsoft Knocking $100 Off Lumia 928, Lumia 1020, Lumia 1520
- 2014-04-02: Nokia Lumia 630 And 635 Launched
- 2014-03-25: Nokia Event At Microsoft BUILD 2014 Confirmed