It was only a matter of time for source-built custom ROMs to be released, seeing as how Android 4.4 KitKat has already been released to AOSP. Google is yet to roll out the official update images for its supported existing Nexus devices, currently the only device out there right now running an official build is the Nexus 5. A lot of custom Android 4.4 KitKat ROMs have already been released, and the latest comes as an unofficial build of CyanogenMod 11 for Samsung Galaxy S3 I747 and T999, that’s the AT&T and T-Mobile variants, respectively.
Despite being source-built, this is a beta custom ROM that’s likely to have a few bugs, so if you want a daily driver that doesn’t have any quirks this probably won’t be the best choice for you. While most features are said to be working, the developer says that currently emoticons in keyboard when using Hangouts and front facing camera are broken in this particular build. These issues may be addressed in a future build. It goes without saying that flashing custom ROMs requires quite a bit of knowledge, not only will it void warranty, there’s a big possibility to things going awry if you don’t know what you’re doing. Proceed with installation only if you’re sure of what you’re doing. Download links for the unofficial CM11 Android 4.4 KitKat build for AT&T Galaxy S3 I747 and T-Mobile Galaxy S3 T999 have been added.
- 2014-04-07: Verizon HTC One Max Android 4.4 Update Released
- 2014-04-06: Verizon HTC One Max Android 4.4.2 Release Possible Tomorrow
- 2014-03-17: Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 Android 4.4 Update Expected By End Of March
- 2014-03-17: Galaxy S3 t999 Android 4.3 Update Released
- 2014-03-17: Galaxy S3 Slim Spotted On Samsung Brazil's Website
- 2014-03-13: Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 Android 4.4 Update Expected Again
- 2014-02-20: Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 Android 4.4 Update Might Not Materialize