We heard just a few months ago from Microsoft’s senior director of product management at Xbox , Albert Panello, concerning the possibility if the Xbox One offering backwards compatibility “eventually.” It looks like Panello may have changed his tune slightly since he last spoke about the matter back in September as he recently chatted with Polygon, admitting using cloud streaming on the Xbox One for backwards compatibility of Xbox 360 titles have been too “problematic” to be made available to consumers.
Panello certainly wants the feature to be implemented on the Xbox One, but some technological hurdles have gotten in the way for the next-gen console to be able to stream Xbox 360 games via the cloud. “It’s really cool and really problematic, all at the same time, insofar as it’s really super cool if you happen to have the world’s most awesome internet connection,” Panello says. “It works way better than you’d expect it to….So managing quality of service, the tolerance people will have for it being crappy.”
Panello makes a good point as there certainly are a minority of people in the U.S. who either aren’t able to access broadband Internet, or just don’t have any interest in it. If Microsoft delivers a streaming product that can meet with the demands of the majority of its customers, then that could certainly put them in a more negative light among those vocal minority.
- 2014-04-08: Xbox Head Phil Spencer Doesn't Think Microsoft Will Dump It
- 2014-04-08: HBO Offering Xbox Users Free Access To Game Of Thrones' Premiere
- 2014-04-07: Microsoft Working On Original Content For The Xbox
- 2014-03-31: Phil Spencer Takes Over Microsoft's Xbox Division
- 2014-03-20: Microsoft Plans On Rewarding Positive Behavior On Xbox Live
- 2014-02-19: Xbox One Media Remote Launching This Week [Rumor]
- 2013-12-13: Dead Rising 3 Demo Available Today; Details On First DLC Revealed
- 2013-12-12: Call Of Duty: Ghosts Wolf DLC Releasing Today On Xbox One, 360
- 2013-12-11: Xbox One Sells Over 2 Million Units In First 18 Days
- 2013-12-10: Xbox One Mod Makes It Possible To Play With PS4, 360, PS3 Controllers