It was just earlier that we reported that the Canon EOS M2 had been announced over in Japan. The EOS M2 is the successor to the EOS M and brought about a host of improvements and new features which might be appreciated by those who weren’t too thrilled about the original model. However given its Japan launch, we were wondering if perhaps the camera might see a Japan-only release for now, before making its way to other markets later. According to the folks at Canon Rumors, it seems that our presumptions could be correct as they have spoken to their sources at Canon USA who told them that there were no plans for a US announcement at the moment.
They also reached out to their sources over in Norway and UK who pretty much told them the same thing, and even a contact at Canon Canada who had no idea the camera was being launched today. The last part isn’t too surprising given that we had heard rumors that the camera was set for a launch in 2014, so the announcement in Japan was kind of a surprise. In any case this does not mean we won’t ever see the camera, but if the 2014 launch rumors are to be believed, perhaps the rest of the world will only see the camera then, while Japan gets an exclusive for the first few months.
- 2014-04-07: Nokia Lumia Icon Goes Up Against The Canon EOS Rebel XTi
- 2014-03-11: Canon PowerShot G1 X II Might See 9th May Release Instead
- 2014-03-07: Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Recalled Due To Allergic Reaction Risk
- 2014-03-03: Canon Doesn't See Smartphones As The Enemy
- 2014-02-28: Canon EOS M2 Will Be Arriving To The US [Updated]
- 2013-12-03: Canon EOS M2 Announced With Improved AF System