For those who like the Samsung Galaxy S4’s hardware but wanted a more stock experience and timely updates, the Google Play Edition was probably the ideal choice and unsurprisingly so, especially given that the handset has recently received its Android 4.4.2 KitKat update. Well the good news is that if you own the regular Samsung Galaxy S4 or the Galaxy Note 3 and you’re wondering when your KitKat update would arrive, perhaps a release sometime in January 2014 could be a possibility.
This timeframe is according to French carrier, SFR, who states that the Android 4.4 KitKat update for both the Galaxy S4 and the Galaxy Note 3 are scheduled to arrive towards the end of January 2014. This coincides with a schedule that was leaked not too long ago although we’re not sure if the release of the update will only be for Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3 units in France, or if they were speaking in general. Best case scenario would be the latter, although we should note that over in the US, carriers require OEMs to seed the updates to them for approval first before it is released to the masses, so even if this was true, those tied to US carriers might have to wait a tad longer.
Either way we’ll be keeping our eyes and ears peeled for more information regarding the availability of Android 4.4 KitKat for the Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3, so be sure to check back with us later for updates!
- 2014-04-02: Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Surprisingly Durable In Drop Test
- 2014-03-10: T-Mobile Galaxy S4 Android 4.4.2 Update Released
- 2014-02-27: AT&T Galaxy Note 3 Android 4.4 KitKat Update Not Quite There Yet
- 2014-02-24: Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 Android 4.4.2 Update Released
- 2014-02-20: Galaxy S4 GT-I9500 Android 4.4.2 Update Rolling Out
- 2014-02-18: Samsung Galaxy S4 Value Edition Confirmed By Bluetooth SIG
- 2013-05-30: 80 Million Galaxy S4 Units Expected To Be Sold This Year [Analyst]
- 2013-05-27: Galaxy Note 3 13 Megapixel Camera With OIS And Optical Zoom Expected
- 2012-12-13: Galaxy Note 3 To Sport 6.3-inch Display, Galaxy S4 Ready For MWC [Rumor]