There has already been a lot of speculation about the future of Google TV. The internet search giant’s TV offering hasn’t established a strong footing in the market as yet, so it is believed that Google is committed to rebranding and reinvigorating the TV service. We have previously heard rumors that the Google TV moniker might be dropped and replaced with Android TV, however according to the latest report from The Information, it is possible that Google might push its TV service under its already popular and successful Nexus brand of products.
The new set-top box that Google is expected to launch in the first half of 2014 might be called Nexus TV. It is likely that the company might make a Google TV related announcement at the Consumer Electronics Show 2014, which takes place next month. While no hints have been dropped as yet, it is possible that the rebranding of the service will also include updating it to a much more current version of Android OS. At this point in time, Google TV is powered by Android 3.2 Honeycomb. It would certainly be interesting to see Google launch a struggling product under the umbrella of its popular Nexus product line, perhaps the perception that Nexus products have in front of millions of customers around the world would result into increased interest in Google’s TV offering. Time will certainly tell.
- 2014-04-16: Google Offering $100,000 For Best Project Ara Module
- 2014-04-16: Possible Redesigned Google+ App For Android Spotted
- 2014-04-16: Google Develops Algorithm That Can Decipher Its Own CAPTCHAs
- 2014-04-16: Google Launches Standalone Camera App For Android
- 2014-04-16: Chrome Remote Desktop Hits Mobile Devices
- 2014-03-18: Nexus Wall Charger On Google Play Store
- 2014-02-06: Next Nexus Tablet Will Be Built By HTC [Rumor]
- 2014-01-06: Toshiba Chromebook 13-Inch Hands-On Preview
- 2014-01-05: New Nexus 10 Release Rumored For CES 2014
- 2013-12-30: Google And Audi Rumored To Announce Android In-Car Entertainment System