‘Tis the season for giving, ain’t it? If that is the case, then you might as well check out the upgraded ability of the iBooks apps for iOS 7, where Apple now allows you to purchase iBooks for someone else via its gifting system. Hmmm, someone had better come up with some sort of virtual Christmas tree so that the recipient will be able to open up all of the virtual presents received on December 25th itself, and this time around, since the app will be software controlled, there will be no incidences of peeking beforehand to see what you have been gifted. Back to reality, as Apple has finally played catch up with Amazon’s Kindle ecosystem, where the latter has long ago paved the way for e-book gifting.
Needless to say, the introduction of being able to gift iBooks to another person, a friend or a relative, could not arrive at a more suitable time considering how Christmas is just one week away. Best of all is, you need not duke it out with the mad holiday shopping crowd, jostling your elbows at the check out counter and having to endure extremely long queues. Do bear in mind that iBooks gifting support has been extended to the desktop area as well.
- 2013-12-17: iBooks For Your Friends As A Gift
- 2013-10-24: Apple Patents Method For Gifting iBooks
- 2012-11-14: Apple granted patent for page curling animation used in iBooks
- 2012-01-23: 350,000 iBooks textbooks reportedly downloaded in 3 days
- 2012-01-20: iBooks Author-created books can only be sold by Apple
- 2012-01-20: iPad 3 high-res display hinted in iBooks 2