To send man to the moon? Pffft, that was one of the great achievement of mankind in the 20th century, but the 21st century – we’re looking farther and farther away. Enter Mars One, a privately-funded company that intends to send humans to colonize the Red Planet by the time 2025 rolls around. Such an undertaking is more or less a one way trip, but it has seen quite an enthusiastic response, with more than 200,000 people signing up already to date. Mars One, however, must have been disappointed with the numbers since they were looking forward to at least 2,000,000 applicants. Still, there is a different plan that is being prepared by Mars One, that is, to launch an unmanned lander to the surface of Mars by the time 2018 rolls around.
This unmanned lander will be working in tandem with a geostationary satellite, where it will be able to provide the public with a live feed from the surface of Mars. It will take several years after that for the colonists to arrive if all goes well, such a live connection would be able to show those of us on earth just how life on Mars would be like. Another reality show that is set to experience high ratings, except that it will be a setting that takes place far, far away from the comforts of our living room.
Next Story: Facebook Reveals New Like And Share Buttons
- 2013-09-27 NASA's Curiosity Rover Discovers Mars' Soil Is 2% Water
- 2013-09-12 Mars One Receives Over 200k Applications For Mars Colonization Project
- 2013-08-08 Mars Curiosity Rover Condenses 12 Months Of Expedition Footage Into A Single Video
- 2013-07-03 Nokia Mars And Eros Appears On Germany O2 Roadmap
- 2013-06-09 NASA's Rover Finds Traces Of 'Drinkable' Water On Mars