Alongside the Moto X smartphone, Motorola also launched its online smartphone customization studio called Moto Maker. Through the studio, customers can put an endless array of personal touches on their device, such as custom engravings and paint jobs. It was initially exclusive to AT&T subscribers before finally being opened up to all major U.S. carriers. At this point in time, Moto Maker is only available for customers in the U.S., however the company does have plans of expanding it beyond the States. Motorola CEO Dennis Woodside has said that Moto Maker is going to be expanded to several countries in Latin America next year.
Latin America is going to be the first international destination for Moto Maker because the Moto X is already being sold there and due to the fact that its sales are quite strong there. However, the full range of customization options will only be offered to customers located in Brazil and Argentina, as the company has some component facilities located in those countries. Customers in other parts of Latin America are likely to have fewer customization options, but hey, something is better than nothing at all. Woodside also hinted at the possibility of Moto Maker being expanded into Europe, though he didn’t offer a timeframe of when that might happen.
- 2014-04-06: Leather Could Be An Option For Next-Gen Moto X [Rumor]
- 2014-04-06: Moto X Successor Might Be Called Moto X + 1
- 2014-04-01: Motorola Moto X Boot Animation Updated, Gets “Powered By Android”
- 2014-01-14: Motorola May Consider Tablet Customizable With Moto Maker
- 2013-12-10: Moto Maker Will Be Launched In Latin America Next Year
- 2013-12-08: Motorola's Modular Phone Prototype "Pretty Close" To Being Ready
- 2013-11-27: Motorola Offers $150 Discount On All Off Contract Moto X This Cyber Monday
- 2013-11-11: Moto Maker Finally Opens Up To All Major U.S. Carriers