In terms of wearable electronics, Nike has some experience in that area. After all the company has released not just one, but two wearable electronic devices in the form of the FuelBand and the FuelBand SE, but it seems that merely providing wearers with fitness statistics isn’t enough as rumors are suggesting that Nike might have a smartwatch in the works as well. This is according to the folks at DigiTimes who claims that Nike is reportedly doing a trial production run of their smartwatch which they believe will launch in the first half of 2014.
It is unclear if this is truly a smartwatch, or if it might be another FuelBand update. After all apart from some new features such as Bluetooth 4.0 LE support and water resistance, the FuelBand SE was essentially the same device as the FuelBand, so perhaps 2014’s version could be an even large overhaul. In any case it is also unknown if this alleged device will be compatible with Android devices. Nike has stated in the past that the reason the FuelBand fitness tracker is not available for Android is due to the lack of Bluetooth Smart. While some Android devices do come with Bluetooth Smart, it is not as widespread. Take it with a grain of salt for now, but we’ll be keeping our eyes peeled for more info.
- 2014-02-16: Nike's Self-Lacing Shoes Will Arrive In 2015
- 2014-01-15: Nike FuelBand SE Silver Edition Launched
- 2013-12-02: Nike Smartwatch Rumored For 2014 Launch
- 2013-11-05: Nike FuelBand SE Now On Sale A Day Earlier Than Expected
- 2013-11-05: Nike+ Move App For iPhone 5s Launched, Turns Your iPhone 5s Into A FuelBand
- 2013-10-30: Nike Explains Lack Of Bluetooth LE Is The Reason Why There Is No Android FuelBand App