The Sony PlayStation 3 was released back in 2006, meaning that it has been around for about 7 years now. The console has also managed to sell about 80 million units to date, and with plenty of PS3 titles still around, we expect sales of the console to continue for a while despite the PS4 having recently been released just last month. Now 80 million consoles is definitely no laughing matter, but speaking to MCV, Sony’s Andrew House stated that he believes the PS4 console will be able to outsell the PS3, although he did not state how long it would take.
The PS4 so far has been off to a great start and managed 1 million units sold in 24 hours, and the latest figures from Sony have revealed that more than 2.1 million PS4 units have been sold to date. House believes that the PS4 will do better as its low price point is more consumer friendly, which is partly true as the PS3’s initial launch price was pretty expensive and put many gamers off. However lately we have been hearing reports of how consoles are no longer as powerful as before, and that PC gaming is the future. In a way it makes sense as putting together a decent PC gaming rig is no longer as expensive as it once was back in the day of the PS2 and PS3.
However there are factors to consider, such as the types of games that are made for console, and the types of games made for the PC, and aspects such as being able to play with friends in the living room which is admittedly more enjoyable than playing over the internet. In any case we guess time will tell, but what do you guys think? Will the PS4 outsell the PS3 eventually?
- 2014-04-17: Next PlayStation Might Be Service Oriented
- 2014-04-17: Xperia Z, ZL, ZR And Tablet Z Receive Android 4.4 Next Month
- 2014-04-17: PS4 Update 1.70 To Feature SHAREfactory
- 2014-04-16: Sony Has Difficulty Meeting Demand For The PS4
- 2014-04-16: Sony's PS4 Sales Crosses The 7 Million Mark
- 2013-12-29: PS4 Gets VidZone Free Music Video Streaming App
- 2013-11-15: Destiny Beta Headed To PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3 First
- 2013-10-16: PS4 Digital Games Now Available For Pre-Order From Your PS3
- 2013-10-10: PS4 Won’t Play Nice With PS3 USB Headsets At Launch
- 2013-08-20: Sony Will Let Customers Upgrade PS3 Games To PS4 At Discounted Rates