At the end of October, we brought to you news that Steam has over 65 million users now, so it is not surprising to hear about another milestone being achieved – that Steam has now managed to garner approximately 7 million plus users who are online concurrently. This is certainly a record to be proud of, considering how its previous best happened to be a high of 6.6 million users. Steam’s site did point out that it hit 7,190,578 concurrent users mid-morning Eastern Time on December 1, if you want to get all worked up over the details involved. This particular figure happens to be an indication on just how popular the Steam service is, in addition to its growth chart. Who knows, such an encouraging figure might see more and more developers work up an interest as well as appetite for the upcoming Steam Box gaming devices.
Just which is the most popular game over Steam to date? Apparently, it would be Dota 2, which should not arrive as a surprise. Dota 2 managed to touch a peak of 542,906 users simultaneously, while in second place would be Valve’s Counter-Strike: Global Offensive that peaked at 93,905 concurrent users, which so happens to be quite a distance from the top spot. As for the other popular titles, those will include The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Sid Meier’s Civilization V, and Football Manager 2013. Do you think that the recent Steam sale had something to do with the new peak achieved?
- 2014-04-13: Steam Controller Goes On Sale This October/November (Rumor)
- 2014-04-08: Middle-earth: Shadow Of Mordor Recommended Specs Revealed
- 2014-03-17: Developers Reveal That Most Gamers Do Not Finish Their Games
- 2014-03-17: Gauntlet Reboot By Warner Bros. Interactive
- 2014-03-14: Valve Unveils Latest Steam Controller Design
- 2014-03-02: Steam Family Sharing Now Available For Everyone
- 2014-02-26: Steam Developers Will Soon Be Able To Set Their Own Sales/Discounts
- 2014-02-18: Gabe Newell Says Valve Anti-Cheat Isn't Spying On Users