Infamous media giant Walt Disney has announced that effective immediately, it has elected Twitter chairman and Square CEO Jack Dorsey as an independent director on its board. The seat Dorsey occupies now once belonged to a former chief technology officer of Cisco, Judith L. Estrin, who served on Disney’s board for 15 years, the maximum number of years for which one member can occupy the seat. Dorsey will stand for election when Walt Disney’s board meets for its annual meeting on March 18, next year.
Disney chairman and chief executive officer Robert A. Iger said that Jack Dorsey happens to be a “talented entrepreneur” and that the prespective he brings to the company’s board is extremely valuable, given the fact that Disney’s strategic priorities include making use of the latest technologies to better reach out to its customers. Dorsey is well known for his role at Twitter, which included posting the world’s first tweet back in March 2006. Until 2008, he was the president and CEO of Twitter, before becoming the chairman. He has also spearheaded the development and growth of Square, a popular commerce company founded in 2009. In a statement, Dorsey said that he is “honored and humbled” to join the “timeliness” company’s board.
- 2014-04-15: Turkey And Twitter Have Not Arrived At Any Tax Deal Yet
- 2014-04-14: American Airlines Receives Additional Bomb Threats After Dutch Girl’s Arrest
- 2014-04-14: US Airways Tweets Apology To Customer
- 2014-04-14: Girl Tweets Mock Threat At American Airlines, Gets Arrested
- 2014-04-13: “Ellen Seflie” Now A Painting At Twitter HQ
- 2010-02-11: iCharge And Square Both Vying For Your Credit Card