[CES 2014] ASUS might not necessarily be a name associated with smartphones. With computers? Sure. With tablets? Definitely, but this has not stopped the Taiwanese company from releasing smartphones and in 2014, smartphone buyers will be able to look forward to a trio of new smartphones as part of ASUS’ ZenFone lineup. As the title implies, these trio of smartphones from ASUS will range from the 4-inch form factors, to a 5-inch size, to a 6-inch device that is definitely in “phablet” category already.
Of course all the phones will differ in their specs, with the 4-inch model being somewhat the entry-level version. The device will sport a 4-inch display with a resolution of 800×480, and interestingly enough ASUS has decided to go with Intel to power all their smartphones. For the ZenFone 4, an Intel Z2520 will be present under the hood and will be clocked at 1.2GHz. It will feature 1GB of RAM and will come with a 5MP rear-facing camera, a 0.3MP front-facing camera, and will support microSD cards for memory expansion of up to 64GB. The Zenfone 4 pricing will starts at $99.
Next up will be the ZenFone 5 and ZenFone 6. Both devices will feature almost the same hardware, such as a 1280×720 HD IPS display, and will be powered by an Intel Z2580 processor clocked at 2GHz. Both will feature 1GB of RAM and sport a 2MP front-facing camera, but apart from that, that’s where the similarities end. The ZenFone 5 will come with an 8MP rear-facing camera, while the ZenFone 6 will sport a 13MP rear-facing camera. The batteries of either device is at 2,050mAh and 3,230mAh respectively, with the ZenFone 6 weighing slightly more at 200g, versus the ZenFone 5’s 144g. The Zenfone 5 pricing will start at $149.
All three devices will be running on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean but ASUS has promised that they will be upgraded to Android 4.4 KitKat eventually. ASUS has not mentioned anything about pricing or availability just yet, but hopefully we will learn more in the near future. The Zenfone 6 price will start at $199.
Eliane Fiolet contributed to this article from CES 2014
Next Story: ASUS Unveils VivoTab Note 3 Windows 8.1 Tablet
- 2014-04-10: ASUS Transformer Book T100 Receives CPU Upgrade
- 2014-04-09: PC Shipments See 4.4% YOY Decline, According To IDC
- 2014-03-27: AT&T Details ASUS PadFone X Specifications
- 2014-03-24: ASUS ZenFone 6, 5, And 4 To Be Released In April
- 2014-03-23: ASUS PadFone X Spotted At The FCC
- 2014-01-17: Best of CES 2014 Ubergizmo Awards
- 2014-01-06: ASUS PadFone X Announced, Heads For AT&T
- 2014-01-06: ASUS Unveils VivoTab Note 3 Windows 8.1 Tablet
- 2014-01-06: ASUS Transformer Book Duet Announced, Dual Boot Windows 8 + Android
- 2014-01-06: ASUS Announces PadFone Mini, Powered By Intel