Despite the fact that Samsung has already started rolling out the Android 4.4 update for international variants of these devices, customers in the U.S., particularly those using carrier locked devices have yet to receive the update. Today, Samsung Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3 Android 4.4 update pre-release builds have been leaked online, coming from well known XDA Developers forum personality Designgears. The pre-release builds are bound to have more than a few bugs, but it will certainly provide KitKat hungry users their fix.
There are a few things to keep in mind before installing this update. The pre-release builds, carrying January 2nd build date, have new bootloaders which could complicate matters if users want to rollback to an Android 4.3 firmware. Moreover, the update also breaks root, users won’t be able to root their devices until and unless a new root hack is developed. The builds also have a major issue which automatically reboots the device when the user tries to playback a video. These are a lot of compromises to make just to get a taste of KitKat. It can’t be said for sure right now when AT&T plans on releasing the Android 4.4 update for Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3, so you can either sit and wait or jump over to the download links for AT&T Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3 if you’re feeling a bit too adventurous today.
- 2014-04-21 Samsung Galaxy S4 Outsold HTC One 4:1
- 2014-04-20 Verizon Galaxy S4 KitKat Release Expected May 2nd
- 2014-04-02 Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Surprisingly Durable In Drop Test
- 2014-03-27 AT&T Galaxy Note 3 Android 4.4.2 Update Rolling Out
- 2014-03-10 T-Mobile Galaxy S4 Android 4.4.2 Update Released
- 2014-02-27 AT&T Galaxy Note 3 Android 4.4 KitKat Update Not Quite There Yet
- 2014-02-24 Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 Android 4.4.2 Update Released
- 2014-01-15 AT&T Galaxy S4 Active Android 4.3 Update Released
- 2013-12-19 Galaxy S4, Note 3 Could Receive KitKat Update By End Of January 2014
- 2013-11-18 AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 Android 4.3 Update Temporarily Halted