[CES 2014] Looking for a camera with zoom? There are a few options that you could explore. One of them involves getting a DSLR and a huge and chunky zoom lens that will probably set you back a couple of hundred, if not a few thousand dollars. Alternatively you could opt for something a little more compact, and while compact zoom cameras might not necessarily have the same level of control and quality one might expect from a dedicated zoom lens, we guess it will do in a pinch, especially if you’re shopping on a budget, which is exactly what Canon had in mind when they unveiled two new compact cameras with optical zoom lenses: the Canon PowerShot SX600 HS and the PowerShot ELPH 340 HS.
The SX600 will sport a 25-450mm 18x optical zoom and will come with a 16MP CMOS sensor and will be powered by Canon’s DIGIC 4+ image processor. As for the ELPH 340, the camera will sport a 12x optical zoom lens that is equivalent to a 25-300mm lens, and will also pack a 16MP CMOS sensor powered by Canon’s DIGIC 4+ processor, although one of the differences between the SX600 and the ELPH 340 is that the latter will do slightly better when it comes to low-lighting conditions. Both cameras will also come with video recording capabilities and can capture 1080p Full HD videos. There will also be a Hybrid Auto mode that records up to 4 seconds of video every time an image is taken.
According to Canon, both these cameras will be getting a Creative Shot mode, which is apparently a first for both Canon’s SX and ELPH lineup of compact cameras. Creative Shot mode allows users to frame a shot, after which the camera will determine the photo and its settings to apply artistic elements onto it, and with 46 different filters to choose from, we expect photographers will have a blast mixing and matching them to their heart’s content. The cameras will also come with both WiFi and NFC connectivity, allowing for wireless transfer of photos to mobile devices. Priced at $249.99, the SX600 will be available at the end of February, while the ELPH 340 will be priced at $199.99 and will be available in March.
- 2014-04-22 Canon Teases Announcement For 24th April
- 2014-04-17 All White Canon EOS 100D Announced For The UK
- 2014-04-07 Nokia Lumia Icon Goes Up Against The Canon EOS Rebel XTi
- 2014-03-11 Canon PowerShot G1 X II Might See 9th May Release Instead
- 2014-03-07 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Recalled Due To Allergic Reaction Risk
- 2014-01-17 Best of CES 2014 Ubergizmo Awards
- 2014-01-10 Dive Is The $89 Alternative To The Oculus Rift
- 2014-01-10 The Matias SecurePro Keyboard Comes With 128-bit AES Encryption
- 2014-01-10 Bens Electric cPot Cloud Intelligent Cooking Appliance
- 2014-01-06 Canon PowerShot N100 Revealed