It has been a while since Google released Android 4.4 KitKat, but most devices have yet to receive the update. That’s because there are various stages that get in the way, OEMs first make their own tweaks and then the update is held up by carriers because the need to run their own tests. Luckily there is an alternative for those who don’t mind rooting their devices and installing custom ROMs. The folks at Cyanogen today released the CyanogenMod 11 nightly builds for Galaxy Note 3, as of now ROMs have been released for Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint variants apart from the international LTE (N9005) model. CyanogenMod 11 is based on Android 4.4.
Just a couple of days back Samsung officially released the Android 4.4 KitKat update for international LTE model, but that particular update comes with TouchWiz. On the other hand, CyanogenMod ROMs offer an experience that’s similar to vanilla Android, unadulterated with no heavy user interface tweaks. Plus these ROMs also come with additional features that are otherwise not found on a OEM modified Android release. The procedure to flash custom ROMs isn’t lengthy, but it may be a bit complicated for people who have actually never done it before, so only proceed once you absolutely know what you’re doing. After flashing said ROMs, you will need to flash the compatible Gapps package as well to get access to Play Store and other Google services. At this point in time, no ROMs are available for the AT&T or international GSM variant, but its likely that they will be uploaded in the coming days. The Galaxy Note 3 CyanogenMod 11 nightly builds can be downloaded from here.
- 2014-03-31: CyanogenMod 11S For OnePlus One Spotted
- 2014-03-27: AT&T Galaxy Note 3 Android 4.4.2 Update Rolling Out
- 2014-03-24: CyanogenMod Nightlies Adds Business/People Search In Dialer App
- 2014-03-05: T-Mobile Galaxy Note 3 Android 4.4.2 Update Released
- 2014-02-27: AT&T Galaxy Note 3 Android 4.4 KitKat Update Not Quite There Yet
- 2014-02-20: Sprint's Galaxy Note 3 Receives Android 4.4 KitKat Update
- 2014-02-18: Galaxy Note 3 Receives Update That Fixes Third Party Accessories
- 2014-01-13: Galaxy Note 3 Android 4.4 KitKat Update Rolling Out Now