If there’s one pet peeve that we’re sure many iOS users have about their device would be its home button. Considering that the home button needs to be pressed all the time in order to exit an app or switch between apps, it can wear out pretty fast, leaving some iOS users asking Apple for a soft key version. Granted you could always use the on-screen home button but that’s not a very elegant solution, but if you don’t mind jailbreaking your brand new iPhone 5s, here’s a tweak you’ll definitely want to check out.
The iOS 7 jailbreak was released not too long ago and if you have jailbroken your iPhone 5s, you can head on over to the Cydia Store and download a tweak called Virtual Home, which basically transforms your Touch ID sensor into a home button, allowing you to activate the home button without actually having to press it, thus extending its life by a bit. This is thanks to the Touch ID sensor’s metallic ring which is able to detect the presence of a finger. Since we don’t own a jailbroken iOS device, we can’t speak to its functionality, but in theory this sounds like a fantastic idea and if you want to check it out, Virtual Home is a free download and will only be compatible with the iPhone 5s (naturally).
- 2014-04-03: Galaxy S5 Versus iPhone 5s In Biometrics Test
- 2014-03-17: Asphaleia Jailbreak Tweak Lets You Use Touch ID To Protect Your Apps
- 2014-03-13: iPhone 5c's Disappointing Performance Seen In China As Well
- 2014-03-09: iPhone 5s Continues To Grow As iPhone 5c Lags Behind
- 2014-03-04: Apple's M7 Continues To Track Even When Battery Is Dead
- 2014-01-05: iPhone 5s Jailbreak Tweak Lets You Use Touch ID To Launch Apps
- 2013-12-05: Report Claims Touch ID's Accuracy Degrades Over Time
- 2013-10-09: Apparently Galaxy Note 3 With Fingerprint Scanner Didn't Pass Samsung Quality Control