It has been quite some time since we have heard any rumors about Apple’s TV offering. Sure there has been a lot of chatter about the full-fledged HDTV set, and while that might be off in the future, the Apple TV set-top box has a more realistic chance of being updated in the near future. A latest rumor claims that the 2014 Apple TV set-top box is “well into testing,” and that the company might release it in the first half of this year.
The rumor also claims that this new Apple TV will come with a revamped operating system, which will be based on iOS as always. Apple is also reportedly considering new input methods for the product, including but not limited to motion controls, but its not entirely clear if these input options will make it into the 2014 Apple TV. The company is also rumored to be building a “Game Store” for the set-top box, an off shoot of the App Store which will contain games that users will be able to play on their TVs. That is all of the unofficial information available about the next generation Apple TV right now, of course nothing of this has been acknowledge by the company, so a grain of salt is advised.
- 2014-04-10: 2014 Apple TV May Rely On Motion Control Technology
- 2014-04-08: New Apple Set-Top Box Hinted In Comcast/Time Warner Cable Filings
- 2014-04-07: Amazon Fire TV Handles Android Mirroring Nicely
- 2014-04-02: Analyst Thinks Amazon's Fire TV Will Motivate Apple To Revamp The Apple TV
- 2014-03-28: Roku CEO Calls The Apple TV A "Money Loser" For Apple