It has been a while since Sony launched a new tablet. The Xperia Tablet Z was launched almost a year back, so the time is ripe for a new tablet from Sony. Recently the rumor mill has been abuzz with chatter about upcoming Sony products, which includes a flagship smartphone reportedly codenamed Sirius. There’s chatter about a new tablet as well, which has now been backed up by @evleaks, known for his fairly strong track record when it comes to these things. The new tablet, codenamed “Castor,” is pegged for an official announcement at the Mobile World Congress 2014 which takes place in Barcelona next month.
Not much information is available about the tablet at this point in time, nothing is known about its design and hardware. According to @evleaks though, the tablet is going to tout a Qualcomm MSM8974AB processor, which is just a pumped up variant of the quadcore Snapdragon 800 with higher clocked GPU and CPU. Moreover, it is also said that this tablet will be available 4G and Wi-Fi only variants. While it hasn’t been mentioned if this tablet runs on Android, its highly likely that it will, Sony isn’t expected to release a Windows powered tablet anytime soon. Presumably it will come with Android 4.4 KitKat pre-installed. MWC is a little over a month off, so we’ll have to wait until then to be absolutely sure.
- 2014-04-17: Next PlayStation Might Be Service Oriented
- 2014-04-17: Xperia Z, ZL, ZR And Tablet Z Receive Android 4.4 Next Month
- 2014-04-17: PS4 Update 1.70 To Feature SHAREfactory
- 2014-04-16: Sony Has Difficulty Meeting Demand For The PS4
- 2014-04-16: Sony's PS4 Sales Crosses The 7 Million Mark
- 2014-02-24: Sony Xperia Z2 Hands-On
- 2014-02-23: Sony SmartBand SWR10 Will Be Available In March
- 2014-02-23: Sony Xperia M2 Mid-Range Smartphone
- 2014-02-23: XPERIA Z2 Tablet
- 2014-02-23: Sony XPERIA Z2 Smartphone