If you know your NES history, then you’ll definitely know about Nintendo World Championships. It was a custom game that was created for a nationwide Nintendo Entertainment System tournament back in the year 1990. Only 116 cartridges were ever produced, the custom game required players to beat select levels from popular titles like Super Mario Bros., Tetris and Rad Racer under seven minutes. Once the levels had been completed, scores were tallied and winners went through to national championships. 90 semi-finalists received a free copy of Nintendo World Championships, which have now become extremely rare. If you have been searching for one and have quite a bit of money on your hands then you’re in luck, one such cartridge has popped up for sale on eBay.
Collectors need not worry about being taken for a ride, despite the fact that by the looks of it, the cartridge looks extremely roughed up. Not to mention the fact that someone thought it was best to write “Mario” where the original sticker once used to be. Starting bid for this cartridge sits at $5,000 and the auction lasts for two days. An absolute collectors item, the bids are expected to stack up quickly. The last known sale of a Nintendo World Championships cartridge took place at a charity auction and fetched $11,000, which goes to show that there are still a lot of people out there willing to drop insane amounts of money just so they have a trophy to put on their mantelpiece.
- 2014-04-15: Wii Remote Plus Controller Gets Princess Peach Theme
- 2014-04-09: DIY Nintendo 64 Portable Console
- 2014-04-09: Super Smash Bros. Has A Bunch Of Rules That Could Get You Banned
- 2014-04-09: Nintendo Confirms New Mario Game In The Works
- 2014-04-08: Super Smash Bros. For 3DS Pegged For Summer, Wii U Version For Winter
- 2014-01-22: EA Has No Plans For Future Titles On The Wii U
- 2013-11-20: The Entertainment Flask Hides Your Drink Within An NES Cartridge
- 2013-11-11: Nintendo To Release 2-Disc Album With Music From NES Classics
- 2013-08-28: Mike Tyson Finally Plays Punch-Out!! [Video]
- 2013-05-31: NES Controller Turned Into A Night Light