[CES 2014] Two years ago, we predicted that Android will be everywhere, specifically in cameras. Since 2012, a handful of manufacturers launched Android cameras with Samsung leading the way. Today, the Galaxy Camera 2, Samsung’s third Android camera, launched.
The Galaxy Camera first generation was introduced at IFA in 2012 (check the review here), and later that year in June, the manufacturer announced the Galaxy NX camera during an event we attended in London (check the hands on here).
The new features of the Samsung Galaxy Camera 2 include a flexible Xenon flash that you can hold horizontally to project the light toward the ceiling, 2 GB RAM (before it was 1 GB), an upgraded quad-core processor at 1.6 Ghz (from 1.4 Ghz), 2000mAh battery (from 1600mAh), Jelly Bean 4.3 (upgraded from 4.1) and NFC.
Samsung changed the design as well and opted for a vintage look and feel similar to the NX300, vintage look has been an important trend for the compact camera category for the past three years. With Smart Mode 3.0, the number of smart modes has almost doubled from 16 to 28, and added the following: Selfie Alarm, Continuous shot, Color bracket, Kids shot, Dawn, Snow, Party/Indoor, Animated photo, Drama, Eraser, Sound&Shot, Interval. With Multi Motion Video, users can set the capture speed to create speed up or slow motion movies.
The new model will be Wifi only, and you will have to use your smartphone as a WiFi hotspot in places where public WiFi networks will not be available. This is a smart move, because, as a manufacturer, it is always more difficult to bring a product to market with a carrier, and most users do not want to deal with another data plan.
Like its predecessor, the Samsung Galaxy Camera 2 features a 21X optical zoom , a 4.8” Touch LCD display, a 16.3 MP 1/2.3″ BSI CMOS sensor, 8GB of internal memory with a SD card slot (up to 64GB memory extension) and captures full HD video at 30 fps.
- Image Sensor: 16.3 effective megapixel 1/2.3″ BSI CMOS
- Lens: 21x Optical Zoom Lens, 23 mm Wide Angle, f2.8 (W) ~ f5.9(T)
- Display 4.8″, HD Super Clear Touch LCD Screen
- ISO Auto, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200
- Processor 1.6 GHz Quad Core Processor
- OS Android 4.3 (Jelly Bean)
- Storage 8GB Internal memory (User memory approximately 2.8GB) ＋ microSD slot (up to 64GB) -＊User memory space may be less than the total memory space due to system files.
- Memory 2GB RAM
- Video capture : Full HD 1920×1080 /30fps, 1280×720 /60fps, 1280×720 /30fps, 640×480 /60fps, 640×480(30fps), 320×240(30fps)
- Multi Motion Video 768 x 512 (WVGA, x1/8, x1/4, x1/2, x2, x4, x8) /120fps
- Built-in Pop-up Xenon Flash with flexible mount
- Connectivity WiFi a/b/g/n, WiFi HT40
- Bluetooth® 4.0
- Sensor Accelerometer,Geo-magnetic,Gyro-sensor, Gyro-sensor(for OIS)
- Dimension (WxHxD) 132.5 x 71.2 x 19.3 mm,
- Weight: 283g
- Battery Li-on 2000mAh