Back in 2013, Samsung made waves when they announced their Exynos 5-series of octa-core processors, although technically it was still four cores as this relied on the big.LITTLE technology. Later in the year we started hearing about how companies such as MediaTek were looking to develop true octa-core processors, where all eight cores would be used at once, as opposed to two sets of four cores that are swapped around depending on the situation. Interestingly enough as much as it would seem that octa-cores are the way of the future (and 64-bit chipsets), it would seem that leaked documents have suggested that Samsung’s upcoming Galaxy Note 3 Lite will be the first phone in the world to utilize a hexa-core setup.
What does this mean? Does it mean we can expect all six cores to be powered at once? Maybe not as this appears to be still take advantage of ARM’s big.LITTLE architecture. According to the documents obtained by GSMArena, the hexa-core setup will include two 1.7GHz cores, and four 1.3GHz cores, which presumably will be used for less intensive tasks, while the beefier and speedier cores will be used for more demanding activities, such as playing games and so on. Samsung has yet to officially announce the Galaxy Note 3 Lite, but based on the rumors and what we know, the handset could feature a 5.5-inch 720p HD display, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, an 8MP camera, and will most likely be positioned as a lower-cost alternative to the Galaxy Note 3.
Hopefully we will learn more about the device at MWC 2014, so be sure to check back with us then for all the details.
- 2014-04-15: Know Your Samsung Gear Compatibility
- 2014-04-15: Samsung Galaxy S5 4K UHD Footage Recorded
- 2014-04-15: Galaxy S5 Versus HTC One M8, iPhone 5s, Nexus 5 In Torture Test
- 2014-04-15: Verizon Galaxy S5 Sale On Amazon Kicks Off
- 2014-04-15: Samsung Reportedly Expects To Ship 35M Galaxy S5 Units This Quarter
- 2014-03-26: Alleged Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 Press Rendering Leaked
- 2014-03-14: New Samsung S Band Revealed In Leaked Slides
- 2014-02-12: Leaked Tizen Screenshot "Confirms" New TouchWiz UI
- 2014-02-12: Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition For Verizon Leaked
- 2014-01-10: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Lite Pictured Next To Galaxy Note 3