November 2013 was the month when gaming fans around the world were pumped up and excited because both Sony and Microsoft were releasing their next generation consoles. The initial launch took place in limited markets and almost immediately all pre-order and day one stock was sold out. Since then over the following weeks both companies released the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in additional markets. Its been a while since Sony updated us on PS4 sales stats, on the other hand Microsoft has revealed that it sold over three million Xbox One units in 2013.
This figure combines sales of the next generation console in 13 markets in 2013, and the number will definitely go up in 2014 as even more markets are added. Microsoft’s Yusuf Mehdi says that demand for the console has been strong since its launch. Last we heard from Sony on the PS4 was when it announced that the console only took 16 days to cross the 2.1 million units sold milestone, whereas the Xbox One crossed a similar milestone in 18 days. Sony hasn’t revealed any more stats since then, presumably its only a matter of time before it too announces that over three million units have now been moved to gaming enthusiasts around the world. Microsoft says that 2014 is going to be a promising year with more games, content and features in the pipeline.
- 2014-04-14: New Xbox One System Update Starts To Roll Out Tonight
- 2014-04-14: Codemasters Teases Announcements, New F1 Title Likely
- 2014-04-10: Skype For Xbox One Getting Update Next Week
- 2014-04-07: Xbox One YouTube App Will Now Support Uploads
- 2014-04-07: Xbox One Original Shows To Feature Interactive Elements
- 2013-11-25: PS4, Xbox One Games Discounted At Amazon To $49
- 2013-10-09: Need For Speed Rivals Racing To PS4, Xbox One November 22
- 2013-09-20: PS4 Playable Through Xbox One's HDMI-In Port
- 2013-06-28: PS4, Xbox One Will Be Playable At GameStop Expo 2013
- 2013-06-21: PS4, Xbox One Amazon Pre-Order Sales Breaks Records