Earlier at MWC 2014 in the week, BlackBerry announced a couple of new handsets, one of them was the interesting sounding BlackBerry Q20, which based on what we know so far, sounds like BlackBerry is trying to revive the glory days, and to be honest it the handset sounds very much like the BlackBerry Bold 9900 with BlackBerry 10 running on it.
That being said, it sounds like BlackBerry might be taking a step back rather than moving forward, and it seems that there will be more “classic” handsets like the BlackBerry Q20 that we might be able to expect in the future. This is according to the folks at CrackBerry who interviewed BlackBerry’s VP of Global Product Management, Francois Mahieu.
According to him, the Q20 should be thought of as belong to a class of products that will be part of BlackBerry’s lineup, suggesting that there will be more of these classic BlackBerry devices that we can look forward to in the future. Like we said earlier, it sounds like a step back, but apparently that isn’t the case.
Mahieu has split BlackBerry’s products into four categories: affordable, classic, high-end, and prestige. So while we might expect more handsets like the Q20 in the future, it seems that we might be able to expect higher-end handsets as well. In a way it is similar to how BlackBerry labelled their devices in the past: Curve, Bold, and Torch, but what do you guys think? Do you want more classic handsets from BlackBerry, or would you like to see the company try something different?
- 2014-04-11: T-Mobile Offering BlackBerry Users $200 To "Upgrade" To Samsung
- 2014-04-10: BlackBerry CEO Optimistic That Handset Business Will Be Profitable By 2015
- 2014-04-10: BlackBerry Q20 Will Be Officially Known As The BlackBerry Classic
- 2014-04-10: BlackBerry CEO Claims He Was Misquoted On Handset Division Sale
- 2014-04-10: BlackBerry Q20 Renamed 'BlackBerry Classic'
- 2014-03-10: Prem Watsa To Convince John Chen To Unveil The BlackBerry Q20 Next Month
- 2014-03-07: BlackBerry Q20 Could See September/October Release
- 2014-02-25: BlackBerry Q20 Will Be Compatible With Q5 & Q10 Apps
- 2014-02-25: BlackBerry Q20 Announced With Integrated Trackpad