Devices that aren’t specifically developed to be immune to the elements can suffer damage at the hands of water and dust. Though those days are long gone when customers didn’t exactly have the option to purchase a device that could withstand the elements. Samsung already offers a similar version of the Galaxy S4, the Galaxy S4 Active. Rumor has it though that the Galaxy S5 itself will be water and dust proof, essentially eliminating the need for another such variant altogether.
The idea will be to develop the Galaxy S5 in such a way that it’s able to withstand direct usage under water or even in very dusty conditions, popular consumer applications of this ability may be photos and videos taken underwater or in sandy deserts. It won’t obviously be hard for the company to come up with something like this, though if the flagship itself is capable of withstanding the elements, then that would mean the “Active” variants will no longer be produced. Previous rumors suggest that Samsung has plans to release multiple variants of the Galaxy S5, so if its retiring the Active variants, presumably it will focus on other arenas that warrant a dedicated Galaxy S5 variant for themselves. No comment from Samsung on this report.
Next Story: Doom Beta Unveiled By Bethesda
- 2014-04-16: Activate Download Booster In Verizon And AT&T Galaxy S5
- 2014-04-15: Samsung Galaxy S5 Vs .50 Caliber Rifle: Fight!
- 2014-04-15: Samsung Galaxy S5 4K UHD Footage Recorded
- 2014-04-15: Verizon Galaxy S5 Sale On Amazon Kicks Off
- 2014-04-15: Samsung Reportedly Expects To Ship 35M Galaxy S5 Units This Quarter
- 2014-02-25: PayPal To Support Fingerprint Authorization For Payments Via Samsung Galaxy S5
- 2014-02-24: Samsung Galaxy S5 Review: Hands-On
- 2014-02-21: Samsung MWC Trailer Hints At Waterproof & Dustproof Features
- 2014-02-20: Galaxy S5 Could Come In A Gold Option [Rumor]
- 2014-02-20: Galaxy S5 'Kids Mode' Rumored