Will the Samsung Galaxy S5 feature a fingerprint sensor like the iPhone 5s? Well if the rumors are to be believed, the answer is yes. However instead of turning to third-party manufacturers to provide them with the fingerprint sensor technology, word on the street has it that Samsung could be looking to produce their own fingerprint sensors rather than outsourcing the job. We’re not sure if this decision was recently made, or if the information was recently made available, because if it is due to the former, we’re sure as heck hoping that it will not affect the release date of the handset in any way.
In any case the rumors claim that the fingerprint sensor developed by Samsung will be of the swiping variety, as opposed to Apple’s TouchID where the finger/thumb is left on the sensor to be detected rather than swiped through. We’re not sure if this sensor will be better than the iPhone 5s’ TouchID which has proven to be rather effective, but it will definitely be a feature worth looking forward to. Should you get your hopes up for a fingerprint sensor? Well back in 2013, it was rumored that the Galaxy Note 3 would come with a fingerprint sensor but apparently it was scrapped due to it not passing Samsung’s QC, so here’s hoping that we will see it in the Galaxy S5. Until we hear the official word, do take it with a grain of salt for now.
- 2014-04-11: Galaxy S5 PayPal Fingerprint Support Disabled By Verizon
- 2014-04-11: Samsung Galaxy S5 Will Be Region-Locked As Well
- 2014-04-11: Leaked HTC One M8 Training Doc Compares It To The Galaxy S5
- 2014-04-10: Samsung Galaxy S5 Stability Update Arrives Prior To Global Launch
- 2014-04-08: Samsung Sues South Korean Publication Over Negative Galaxy S5 Press
- 2014-02-25: PayPal To Support Fingerprint Authorization For Payments Via Samsung Galaxy S5
- 2014-02-24: Samsung Galaxy S5 Review: Hands-On
- 2014-02-21: Samsung MWC Trailer Hints At Waterproof & Dustproof Features
- 2014-02-20: Galaxy S5 Could Come In A Gold Option [Rumor]
- 2014-02-20: Galaxy S5 'Kids Mode' Rumored