Last week we reported on the possibility that Garmin might unveil a new navigation application for the Sony Smartwatch 2 at Mobile World Congress 2014, and that rumor has turned out to be true. Garmin has actually launched a new app for Sony Xperia smartphones which is aided by an extension for the Sony SmartWatch 2. Called Garmin Xperia Edition, the app brings its signature navigation features as well as a variety of premium features such as traffic updates, speed warnings, land guidance, onboard maps and more.
It was rumored that the app on Sony SmartWatch 2 will only be able to display walking directions. That is indeed the case, the extension displays walking directions, providing users with navigation information right on their wrist without needing them to pull out their phones. It will also display the user’s current position as well as their route, to take a closer look at the map or the route, users can simply button-press on the watch to zoom in. The Garmin Xperia Edition app and its extension for the smartwatch are expected to be available next month, the app will be offered for free for the first 30 days with access to all premium features. After the trial period ends, users will retain access to map viewer and pedestrian navigation, though they will have to purchase a $2.95 monthly subscription for all premium features.
Next Story: ZTE Open II Hits The Deck
- 2014-03-13: ZTE Grand Memo 2 LTE: Video Hands-On
- 2014-03-12: HTC Desire 816, Hands-On Preview
- 2014-02-26: Best of MWC 2014 @ Ubergizmo
- 2014-02-26: Ubuntu Phones Will Hit The Market This Fall
- 2014-02-24: Garmin Xperia Edition App's SmartWatch 2 Extension Brings Navigation To Your Wrist
- 2014-02-20: Garmin Reportedly Set To Launch Navigation App For Sony SmartWatch 2
- 2014-01-06: Garmin First nüvi With Wireless Backup Camera
- 2014-01-06: Garmin Launches Dash Cam 10 And 20 With Automatic Incident Detection
- 2014-01-06: Garmin Announces Vívofit, A Stylish And Lightweight Fitness Band