This week has all been about 2014 flagships. At Mobile World Congress many companies showed off the devices that are their new flagships. Apple doesn’t officially take part in this event, its software related announcements are made every summer at WWDC. The company holds off most of its mobile device announcements until fall. Though recently there have been rumors that Apple might unveil the new iPhones a bit early this time around, and an analyst running checks on Apple’s suppliers in Asia claims that this just might be the case.
Abhey Lamba of Mizuho Securities believes that the iPhone 6 release could very well take place in July. He claims that suppliers are already gearing up to start building a new iPhone. The analyst also lends voice to rumors about the possible release of an iPhone phablet, presumably the iPhone 6 will have a 4.7 inch display while the phablet would tout a 5.5 inch display.
This isn’t the first we are hearing of this. Some believe that Apple will shake up its smartphone offering this year and will also move away from its traditional release cycles. It should be kept in mind though that analysts’ predictions aren’t always spot on, so its best to take this one with a grain of salt. Lamba also claims that iOS 8 will open up the iPhone 5S Touch ID fingerprint scanner to developers, allowing them to leverage the technology and build corresponding features into their apps. As always, Apple is keeping mum on the rumors.
- 2014-04-17: Is Steve Ballmer Using An iPhone Now? (Debunked & Updated)
- 2014-04-16: Alleged iPhone Case "Confirms" Repositioned Buttons
- 2014-04-15: Apple Participates In Smartphone Anti-Theft Voluntary Program
- 2014-04-15: Alleged iPhone 6 Batteries Spotted On Production Tray
- 2014-04-15: Alleged iPhone 6 Front Panel Photo Surfaces
- 2014-04-13: Possible iPhone 6 Production Tools And Schematics Spotted [Rumor]
- 2014-03-31: Purported iPhone 6 Rear Casing Pictures Leak
- 2014-01-15: iPhone 6 Concept Video Surfaces
- 2013-11-21: iPhone 6 Prototype With 4.9-Inch Screen Being Tested [Rumor]